General Discussion:

eating sweet peas


Messages posted to thread:

From:Date:Zone:
andy steele02-Aug-01 10:11 PM EST 5a   
Susan03-Aug-01 10:28 AM EST 6a   


Subject: eating sweet peas
From: andy steele
Zone: 5a
Date: 02-Aug-01 10:11 PM EST

I read recently that sweet peas are considered dangerous.I have eaten them since i was a child in scotland Now here in ottawa in Ottawa I have grown them for years and eaten the peas .How poisonous are they and.......will i live????


Subject: RE: eating sweet peas
From: Susan
Zone: 6a
Date: 03-Aug-01 10:28 AM EST

They definitely appear on all lists of poisonous plants that I've seen! Here's what supposedly can happen if you eat them: "Upon ingestion, causes permanent paralysis, slow and weak pulse,shallow breathing, pain, weakness,tremors, excitement, and convulsions."

Sounds unpleasant indeed! And all parts of the plant are supposed to be poisonous if ingested, not just the seeds. I gather that you need to eat enough of them for it to reach this sort of state, so if you're still walking around, you should be OK but it might be a good idea to stop eating them!


In order to post the forum, you must register to the site.
To register, click here.

If you have already registered, you must log in.
  • New Eden
  • Kids Garden
  • Plant a Row Grow a Row